Monday, April 7, 2008

PhD

The school has proposed a PhD program to me again. Since I joint the HKDI in the last September, I have been suggested (asked) if I wish to take a PhD program or not. I have been asked by the department head and by my supervisor.

Taking a PhD is one of my long term personal goal since I had finished my Masters Degree. Personally, I wish to take an Imaging Science PhD from the CIS RIT majoring either in Color Science or Imaging Science. It's all depending on which fits me by the time I am ready.

Unfortunately, I sensed that the HKDI wishes me to take my PhD from the WuHan University in China, which doesn't really appeal me at all. I didn't mean to look down on the university, but I really feel that's a waste of my time. Even if they had a PhD in Imaging Science (I know that they don't because RIT is the only university offering a degree in such area), I don't believe in their faculty members nor their equipments.

University education is supposed to be enjoyable. I hate to be forced to study. Moreover, a person should not only focus on his/her professional improvement, but also mind maturing during the college time. I would like to be educated by the Americans, but not the Chinese due to their government backgrounds and the cultural believes.

People keep saying that China is rocking and will be the tomorrow leader! I have to admit that yes, it will be, but only in the business field. Once outside business, it is incomparable to anything and/or anywhere of the rest of the world. Just give you a perfect example, according to today newspaper, the China Olympic Fire has been put out for four times in Paris! Everyone keeps saying that everybody hates the America, but no one ever tried to put out the fire, when the games were held in the America. So, you can see how many people actually really hate and not supporting China in reality.

OK, long story short. I didn't mean for not going for the WuHan University PhD, but firstly, the program has to impress me. Secondly, the company has to fully pay for both of my PhD cost and keep paying my monthly salary. If not, I am not going to waste even one second of my time in it.

By the way, just for your information. Taking a PhD in RIT is totally free of charge!

No comments: